Here we are...

...a group of Baby Boomers of sundry religious,
political and cultural orientations, who have been
meeting at the Voorheesville Public Library since 1991
to read and discuss each other's poems.

We include old fathers and young grandmothers,
artists and musicians, and run-of-the-mill eccentrics.
Writers are welcome to stop in and stay if they like us.


Some of Us

Some of Us
Dennis Sullivan, Beverly Osborne, Tom Corrado, Edie Abrams, Art Willis, Alan Casline (all seated); Paul Amidon, Mike Burke, Tim Verhaegen, Mark O'Brien, Barbara Vink, Philomena Moriarty

Monday, November 12, 2007

Gary sent this...

and I am posting it for the traditionalists out there. bv

Hi everyone, I am now officially a blogger! So what has me blogging on this Sunday night when I should be praying THAT THE GIANTS WILL WIN! well you see I am not a believer in football either, yet I have recently seen the light...Alan, (AKA the Birdman) enlightened me you see. He presented me with a book last meeting (TY Alan) regarding the evolution of poetry. I have only worked my way through piecemeal. Though I am presently delighted: They are all there: Keats, Byron, Maccaulay, Browning,Shakespear, Lampman..."Lampman?" you ask. Yes Archibald Lampman's APRIL IN THE HILLS is the last poem included. He is a Canadian Naturalist Poet, the little known, virtual King of metered verse. The poem included in the book I copied below; The imagery is great!!! ENJOY! (BTW...he also wrote "THE CITY AT THE END OF THINGS" pretty wild imagery as well).

APRIL IN THE HILLS Lampman, Archibald (1861-1899)

To-day the world is wide and fair
With sunny fields of lucid air,
And waters dancing everywhere;
The snow is almost gone;
The noon is builded high with light,
And over heaven's liquid height,
In steady fleets serene and white,
The happy clouds go on.
The channels run, the bare earth steams,
And every hollow rings and gleams
With jetting falls and dashing streams;
The rivers burst and fill;
The fields are full of little lakes,
And when the romping wind awakes
The water ruffles blue and shakes,
And the pines roar on the hill.
The crows go by, a noisy throng;
About the meadows all day long
The shore-lark drops his brittle song;
And up the leafless tree
The nut-hatch runs, and nods, and clings;
The bluebird dips with flashing wings,
The robin flutes, the sparrow sings,
And the swallows float and flee.
I break the spirit's cloudy bands,
A wanderer in enchanted lands,
I feel the sun upon my hands;
And far from care and strife
The broad earth bids me forth.
I riseWith lifted brow and upward eyes.
I bathe my spirit in blue skies,
And taste the springs of life.
I feel the tumult of new birth;
I waken with the wakening earth;
I match the bluebird in her mirth;
And wild with wind and sun,
A treasurer of immortal days,
I roam the glorious world with praise,
The hillsides and the woodland ways,
Till earth and I are one.

Love and Peace...Gary Yeager

2 comments:

  1. Gary,
    You say your are now a blogger...
    Does that mean you have a blog you are hosting?
    Named what? Address where? Please do tell...
    I would be interested in reading more!
    obeedude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11/14/2007

    I've been meaning to say something about last week and keep forgetting. I had several awesome conversations at Smitty's last week. I had an amazing ocnversation with Gary Yeager outside in the parking lot. While I was either outraged or confused by his emails, when he explained it all face to face, I was riveted by his positions and the case he made for his positions. I was very impressed, very moved and I found my own position had changed relative to the subjects he brought forth.

    The NY Times, Time, Newsweek all have had articles about the email communication forum. Email is so easy to misunderstand. We read emails with our tone, not the tone of the author of the email. Emails are overwhelming since there is no back and forth.

    I'm with NY Times, Time and Newsweek, while it is tempting as writers to use the email forum, I need Gary Yeager's voice inflections, his eye contact, the movement of his hands, his wonderful enthusiasm, I needed all of Gary Yeager to have a true discussion with him on a controversial subject.

    I was so glad I talked to Gary Yeager in person, it really taught me a lesson. Face to face and voice to voice communications are by far the best for any communication outside of simple, need-to-know communications.

    ReplyDelete