Here we are...

...a group of Baby Boomers of sundry religious,
political and cultural orientations, who have been
meeting at the Voorheesville Public Library since 1991
to read and discuss each other's poems.

We include old fathers and young grandmothers,
artists and musicians, and run-of-the-mill eccentrics.
Writers are welcome to stop in and stay if they like us.


Some of Us

Some of Us
Dennis Sullivan, Beverly Osborne, Tom Corrado, Edie Abrams, Art Willis, Alan Casline (all seated); Paul Amidon, Mike Burke, Tim Verhaegen, Mark O'Brien, Barbara Vink, Philomena Moriarty

Friday, September 14, 2007

Summer Shower by Mike Burke

When the rain begins to fall
I move from the lakeside rocks
warmed by the afternoon sun
to the picnic table beneath the large oak
Susie my summertime dog
moves with me to stay at my side

I love to watch the rain drop on the lake
make endless repeating ripples
crash and join into each other
hear it drop on the leaves above
while I stay dry.

Watching the dark clouds
move toward me as the fog rolls in
I think of girls I have known
who were once in my life
but never wanted to come back
after they left.

I sometimes wish Susie was a hot babe
spilling out of her halter top
short-shorts legs crossed all thigh
arms around me snuggling
laughing at my jokes.

But now it's just me
and my summertime dog
we'll stay here
under the oak
till I get wet
or run out of beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment